Robinho sentenced to nine years in prison for sexual assault

Violet Tucker
November 24, 2017

"All legal steps are already being taken in response to this decision".

Former Manchester City star Robinho has been sentenced to nine years in prison for rape.

The Sun reports the former Manchester City ace is one of a group of five convicted of assaulting an Albanian girl in a Milan nightclub on January 22, 2013.

Robinho, whose full name is Robson de Souza, is now in his native Brazil, where he plays for Atletico Mineiro, which are based in Belo Horizonte. The other four men had not been found by Italian police, ANSA said.

The Brazilian has the right of appeal and the sentence will not be enforced until that process has been completed, according to Sky Sports.

Robinho spent two seasons at Manchester City
GETTYRobinho spent two seasons at Manchester City

Robinho has protested his innocence and announced he will appeal after reportedly being sentenced to nine years in prison for rape. He is now with Atletico Mineiro and made his last appearance for the national team against Colombia in January.

A statement posted on his official Instagram account also says: "'We would like to clarify that he has already defended himself against the accusations, affirming that he did not participate in the episode", said a statement posted on Robinho's Instagram feed.

A lack of discipline, however, began to dog Robinho, and he was soon returning to Santos before a spell in Italy where the assault took place.

Robinho joined City from Real Madrid for £32.5million in 2008 but struggled to adapt to Premier League football.

Robinho had previously been accused of sexual assault while at City in 2009, but was later cleared.

Scotland Yard Investigating New Sexual Assault Allegation Against Kevin Spacey
He has denied allegations of assault, but said he is now seeking "evaluation and treatment" of his behavior. In a statement released today, authorities said that another allegation had been made to them on Friday.

Jordan Fisher and Lindsay Arnold win "Dancing with the Stars" season 25
Frankie and Witney performed a foxtrot/tango fusion, but Bruno and Len found small faults in the performance . In the end, winners Fisher and Arnold were hoisted into the air as streamers shot everywhere.

Two reasons why Barcelona are split over signing £20m Arsenal superstar
The star duo's contracts expire at the end of the season and Gunners chiefs are scrambling tie them down on new deals .

Other reports by Guamnewswatch

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER